6 Ways You Can Share the Gift of Good Health
Looking for out-of-the-box holiday gift ideas? Why not give the gift of good health this year? We asked three DOs to share their favorite gift suggestions for helping loved ones stay healthy and safe in the new year. Here are their top picks:
- Healthy Food Subscription – Share a little love with the foodie in your life! Food subscriptions offer something for everyone – from snacks to full meals – delivered right to your front door. Many subscription services specialize in healthy options, including vegetarian and gluten-free offerings.
- Fitness Tracker or App – “In today’s busy world, tracking fitness and nutrition is an important part of staying in shape,” says Jennifer Caudle, DO, an osteopathic family physician from Philadelphia. “Having a tracker or app allows you to have this information at your fingertips on the go.”
- Gym Membership – The gift of a gym membership could provide the needed motivation to help a family member or friend get in shape.
- Stress Busters – Apps for guided meditation and relaxation music can help beat stress, says Laura Rosch, DO, an osteopathic internist from Chicago. For Dr. Caudle, a gift certificate for a massage is a favorite way to relax.
- Carbon Monoxide Detector – Most homes probably have a smoke detector but carbon monoxide detectors can help prevent deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning since carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless.
- Medical Alert Bracelet – “For those with allergies or illnesses, a medical alert bracelet can provide life-saving information in the event of an emergency,” says Rob Danoff, DO, an osteopathic family physician from Philadelphia.
Focusing on preventive care, Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine, or DOs, look beyond your symptoms to consider how environmental and lifestyle factors impact your health. They are trained to listen and partner with you to help you not only get healthy, but stay well.